The Difference Between A Venue Coordinator And A Wedding Planner
The infamous question that many couples wonder…….what is the difference between a venue wedding coordinator and a wedding planner?! Is there really a difference?! The answer is….YES!
I have been wanting to write about this topic for a while now because sometimes the expectations of the venue are more along the lines of what an independent wedding planner would be hired to do. There are many different opinions on this topic, however, all you need to do is ASK the question when you tour the venue. It all starts with a simple conversation…
While I cannot speak for every venue, I will tell you exactly what the venue wedding coordinator at Glen Erin Golf Club includes. And I must say, it is more than most venues!
If you book your wedding at the Celtic House at Glen Erin Golf Club, Katy (me), our in-house wedding coordinator is here to make your life easier and to help lessen the stress of planning.
As the coordinator at the venue, here are some of the things I help with once you book your wedding with us!
- Give recommendations on wedding vendors – No vendor pays to be on our preferred vendor list. We recommend vendors we have worked with who have proven themselves to be professional, prompt, reliable and deliver fantastic work.
- Help to budget your venue expenses – food, beverage, venue décor, anything related to the venue
- Host your wedding tasting – this is a complimentary event for four guests at Glen Erin Golf Club. This is when I meet with the couples and put together their wedding timeline (once you arrive to the venue until the end of the night), select linen colors, go over any additional rental décor (draping, lighting, chairs, specialty linens, lighting, etc), day of details, anything and everything wedding related so that we are all on the same page.
- Design the room layout with the couple
- Meet with you as many times as you need, answer as many emails as needed, phone calls, I am always available to my clients!
- Run your rehearsal ceremony ONLY IF your ceremony is on-site
- I reach out to vendors the week of your wedding to coordinate set up times and tear down times and answer any questions needed
- Ensure all venue employees are aware of your wedding plans from the set-up team to the chef to the cleaning crew
- Help set up miscellaneous décor (i.e. place cards, guestbook table, gift table, centerpieces (must already be assembled), etc)
- I am there the day of your wedding to make sure everything runs smoothly – Typically I will leave after the first dance or the late night snacks go out.
- Most importantly, I am here so that you, your family and friends can enjoy one of the most special days in your life.
What I do NOT do as a venue wedding coordinator:
- Book your vendors and sign contracts (other than rental décor)
- Create your centerpieces – I am not a florist but I can recommend some awesome ones!
- Hang lights / decorate arches / hang anything from our ceiling for you
- Handle or track RSVPS
- I will be on property the day of your wedding – I do not run errands for the couple
- I will not be responsible for gifts or cards the night of your wedding
- I do not plan pre-wedding or post-wedding activities that are not held at Glen Erin Golf Club
- I do not help with wedding budgets other than the venue budget
- I do not set up hotel room blocks
- I do not create moodboards for clients
The bottom line is that Glen Erin Golf Club does provide a wedding coordinator to help relieve some of the stress of planning a wedding, however, if you are looking for someone to design and do more than what I listed above, you should definitely consider hiring a wedding planner! Both venue coordinators and wedding planners are a very important part of your wedding weekend and wedding day! Just know that as wedding vendors, we become your work colleague, support network, and most importantly your friend! Together, we deal with every aspect of your special day. Our goal is to help you plan and to help relieve the stress and time which is associated with planning a wedding! Trust us, we have done this a time or two ?